Job Title: Retail Manager
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full-Time / Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Regional Managers
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries have been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, make it the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Pike is seeking….exceptional management candidates to join our Manager Training Program. Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for all functions of the profit center, including personnel management, sales, merchandising, nursery cleanliness, gross profits, turn dates, inventory control, and bottom-line profit.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be an expert and brand ambassador for Armstrong Garden Centers
- Mentor, coach and lead a team of 10-20 members
- Responsible for sales and service of retail staff
- Personnel management, which includes scheduling, training, problem solving and motivation
- Assist manager with accounting paperwork, financials and operations
- Involved in all store purchasing, ordering, receiving and maintenance of the store's inventory, ensuring top quality and low cost pricing
- Responsible for all inventory, including maintenance, selection, shrinkage and turn rate
- Visual merchandising; Responsible for the garden center’s appearance, which includes merchandising display work and general housekeeping
- Run morning personnel meetings which involve ad promotions, sales talks and safety
- Ensure store operations run within the guidelines of Policy and Procedure
- Handle customer conflicts
- Customer service and sales -- lead by example. Able to connect with customers and provide expert knowledge of our products
- Work with associates in their areas of responsibility
- Manage operations: POS, scheduling, budgets, KPIs
- Follow safe work practices and reporting any unsafe working conditions to management and HR
- Formulate daily goals to accomplish
- Follow safe working practices
- Attend Manager Meetings
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Previous management experience in a retail nursery. Must have a C.C.N. status with a strong background in plant knowledge; leadership skills; motivational skills, positive, outgoing individual; strong business background, ability to communicate, follow through and complete tasks
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Medical, dental, life insurance after 30 days
- Paid holidays and paid vacation after 90 days
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Salary will commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits between 30 and 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.