Retail Assistant Manager
Job Title: Assistant Manager
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full-Time / Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Retail Manager / Regional Managers
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries have been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, make it the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Pike is seeking….exceptional management candidates to join our Manager Training Program. Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be an expert and brand ambassador for Armstrong Garden Centers
- Motivate associates to do their best
- Mentor, coach and lead a team of 10-20 members
- Assist manager with accounting paperwork, financials and operations
- Assist manager with ordering, receiving and maintenance of the store's inventory, visual merchandising, sales and service
- Participate/Run Sunday morning sales meetings
- Handle problem customers
- Customer service and sales -- lead by example. Able to connect with customers and provide expert knowledge of our products
- Work with associates in their areas of responsibility
- Monitor inventory control, including ordering and buying materials
- Responsible for taking ownership of Garden Center including, maintenance, watering, visual merchandising, marketing displays, and maintaining stock levels of product.
- Manage operations: POS, scheduling, budgets, KPIs
- Follow safe work practices and reporting any unsafe working conditions to management and HR.
- Formulate daily goals to accomplish
- Follow safe working practices
- All other duties as delegated by management
- Perform duties of Manager on duty when Manager is absent from store
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Expert Nursery Person or Master Nursery Person status; leadership abilities; strong business background; ability to communicate, follow through and complete tasks.
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Medical, dental, life insurance after 30 days
- Paid holidays and paid vacation after 90 days
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Salary will commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits between 30 and 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.