Keeping bugs out of your backyard
Tips on how to keep bugs out of your backyard this summer!
The mild winter has led to more bugs than normal this summer. Here are some ways to keep bugs from invading your BBQ's and outdoor parties this summer.
Deterring Mosquitoes -- The best way to reduce mosquitoes is to make sure you don't have any stagnant water.
1. Turn over empty pots, lids, etc so they don't collect water
2. Clean/refill bird baths regularly
1. Rosemary: Has an oil that repels mosquitoes
2. Marigolds: Marigolds have a smell that many insects and humans find objectionable. It's a good plant for repelling mosquitoes as well as insects that can attack vegetable plants and aphids.
1. Variety of citronella candles, etc.
1. Has a blend of aromatic essential oils from Brazilian andiroba with citronella, rosemary and thyme
2. Contain 300 to 500 percent more essential oils than the majority of citronella products
Fire Ants -- Known for their lively and aggressive behavior and their sting is painful
Bonide Fire Ant Killer
1. Provides season long ant control
2. Apply to mounds or apply all over as prevention
1. They look like a bee but have a thin "waist" (bees have a thick waist)
2. Spray with Foam Wasp/Yellow Jacket