Farm Lead Grower
Job Title: Farm Lead Grower
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full Time / Salary Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Facility Manager / Manager on Duty
Work Schedule: Hours and workdays vary by season.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
To ensure customer satisfaction, by proactively working with the Growing Team to produce consistently high quality crops.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of a designated range of plants. Maintenance includes watering, fertilizing, spacing, weeding and moving the plants.
- Direct Section Growers to monitor ranges for optimum crop quality, climate, and correct placement.
- Responsible for directing all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, and soil testing.
- Monitor incoming plugs and perform quality checks.
- Provide direction to Production Lead to ensure the proper handling and planting of plugs.
- Develop and document high quality standards with the goal of crop consistency.
- Conduct trials and experiments to evaluate possible improvements to the crops.
- Direct Section Growers to perform soil, water, and disease tests as needed.
- Train Section Growers to identify, track and control insects.
- Develop and implement fertilization programs.
- Train Section Growers to monitor their greenhouse environments including how to adjust the environments seasonally.
- Assist in production planning, and provide feedback on growing times and plant selection.
- Maintain records of crop activities and observations, including pesticide applications, growth records and weekly throwaways/dumps.
- Train and develop Section Growers on proper spray techniques, the safe handling of chemicals and maintaining current MSDS spray information.
- Source and order chemicals, soil and PPE gear.
- Provide feedback for site planning, capex expenditures and general facility maintenance.
- Perform other duties assigned by management as needed.
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- High level of interpersonal skills to be able to positively interact with fellow associates.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to multitask.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. on regular basis and up to 50 lbs. on occasion.
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
One plus year(s) work-related experience.
Compensation – We have great benefits! (Benefits available to full-time associates)
- Major medical, dental, vision and other group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.