Retail Management Trainee
Job Title: Manager Trainee
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full-Time / Hourly
Reporting Relationships: Retail Management / Regional Managers
Work Schedule: Hours vary by season. This position is based on a 40-hour work week and may require evening and weekend work.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Position Description- How it works
Manager Trainees will participate in a 9-week manager training course including classroom and on-the job training in areas such as:
- Store Operations
- Human Resources
- Visual Merchandising
- Customer Service
Primary Duties and Responsibilities- What to look forward to!
- Is an expert and brand ambassador for Pike Nurseries
- Is able to connect with customers and provide expert product knowledge
- Monitors inventory control, including ordering and buying materials.
- Is responsible for taking ownership of Garden Center including, maintenance, watering, visual merchandising, marketing displays, and maintaining stock levels of product.
- Manages operations: POS, scheduling, and budgets
- Follows safe work practices and reports any unsafe working conditions to management and HR.
Requirements- Do you have what it takes?
- Has previous management, supervisory or college experience
- Has exceptional customer service skills
- Has excellent salesmanship
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Computer skills: Intermediate level of skill in Outlook and Excel. Point of Service Training
- Has the ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Has the ability to lift 25 lbs. on a regular basis and 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Has strong leadership and communication abilities to delegate efficiently.
- Has the ability to relate to, train and instruct others.
- Is able to stand and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to multi-task.
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Major medical, dental, vision and other group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Hourly rate is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.