Job Title: Retail Manager
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full Time / Salary Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Regional Management
Work Schedule: Hours will vary by season. This position will require weekend work.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Manages the sales, operations and fiscal activities of the store. Plans and develops systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the store. Hires, supervises, coaches and trains staff according to company policies and procedures.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands that safety, proactive customer engagement and customer satisfaction are our top priorities.
- Manages store sales, operations, inventory turns, margins and profitability.
- Approves labor/scheduling to maintain budgeted guidelines and ensures that there is adequate staff on hand at all times to serve our customers.
- Ensures the store is staffed with qualified employees through the recruiting, screening and interviewing processes.
- Provides ongoing training to all store personnel for development and advancement within the company.
- Opens and closes the store as needed.
- Ensures that operational standards are consistently met.
- Ensures product is merchandised in a manner that enhances customer appeal.
- Oversees product inventory to ensure that store has adequate stock to meet customers’ needs.
- Monitors safety compliance and ensures supplies of safety equipment are on hand.
- Performs performance evaluations for all core employees on a yearly or as needed basis.
- Addresses all performance based issues with employees in a timely manner for development, growth and disciplinary action.
- Has the ability to manage conflicts. Addresses and resolves customer issues and/or associate issues.
- Accepts other responsibilities as assigned.
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Computer skills: Intermediate level of skill in Outlook and Excel. Point of Service Training
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on occasion and 25 lbs regularly.
- Strong leadership and communication abilities to delegate efficiently.
- Strong ability to train others.
- Requires standing and/or sitting for long periods of time.
- Ability to multi-task.
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Two year degree in Horticultural, Agricultural Business or related field or five years Retail Management experience. Becomes a Georgia or North Carolina Certified Plant Professional within first two years of job classification.
Compensation – We have great benefits! (Benefits available to full-time associates)
- Major medical, dental, and group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.