Attracting Birds & Butterflies
Approximately 350 species of birds live in Georgia at some point in their life. Most Atlanta-area homes can attract about 20 different types of birds to their backyard.
3 Things needed to attract birds & butterflies
- Hummingbirds and butterflies prefer perennials and flowering shrubs for nectar/food.
- Early Season Favorites
- Both are great options in the garden or container garden.
- Spring & Early Summer Favorites
- Annual Cosmos – also a great cut flower
- Summer Favorites
- Butterfly Bush
- Bird Feeders
- It’s important to supplement nature’s natural food sources with a bird feeder. This attracts birds early in the season and will attract more birds because there’s a constant food supply.
- Different foods attract different birds
- Nectar: Hummingbirds, Orioles
- Thistle seed: Finches, Pine Siskin, Chickadee, Wren
- Sunflower Meats: Songbirds
- Suet: Woodpeckers, Bluebird, Thrasher, Mockingbird, Wren, Junco, Nuthatch
- Hot blends: Cajun spiced to deter squirrels
- Mealworms: Bluebird
- Birds need water year-round for drinking and bathing
- Moving water will attract more birds
- Use dunk pellets to prevent mosquitos in birdbaths
- Refresh birdbaths weekly
- Plants for Food & Shelter
- Berry bushes
- Hanging basketsBird Houses
- Can be used as an additional shelter in addition to plants
- Bird houses come in a variety of sizes and shapes for a variety of birds
- Bird houses should be functional & decorative