Moon Garden Basics
Gardens aren’t meant to be enjoyed only in the daytime! Especially in the dog days of summer, it can be more pleasant to relax outdoors once the sun goes down. Be strategic with your plant choices and you can create a beautiful garden that will shine under the moon and delight the senses at night.
What is a Moon Garden?
- A landscape designed to make it possible to enjoy by using lunar lighting instead of flooding your outdoor space with artificial light.
- A garden that uses plants with white flowers, plants with bright foliage, nighttime bloomers, and plants with fragrant blooms to entice all of the senses.
Why are Moon Gardens Popular?
- They attract nighttime pollinators.
- They are easy to put together and enjoy in the dead of summer when the daytime heat is too harsh
How to Create a Moon Garden:
Plant white and silver plants that are more easily seen than other colors at night by moonlight
New Guinea Impatiens
Annual with white blooms, plant in partial shade to partial sun
Annual with silvery foliage, plant in full sun
Annual with upright stalks of white flowers, plant in full sun
Annual in our region, some varieties with silver/white and green foliage, plant in full to partial shade
Perennial, variegated varieties of green & white. Plant in partial sun to full shade
Deciduous shrub, Oakleaf and Paniculata types have light-colored blooms. Plant in partial shade or full sun depending on the type
Plant fragrant flowers and shurbs so that you can enjoy their presence even in the dark.
Evergreen shrub, blooms spring to summer, plant in full to partial sun
Perennial herb, blooms late spring, plant in full sun
Evergreen or perennial vine depending on the type, blooms spring to summer, plant in full sun
Deciduous shrub, blooms spring to fall depending on the type, plant in full sun
Add some fun touches to accessorize your garden so you can enjoy it that much more:
- Solar-powered string lights and garden stakes
- Water sources like foundtains and bird baths
- White colored containers, furniture and cushions