Blueberries are a plant that truly works overtime—gorgeous, dainty, white bell-shaped flowers in spring; succulent, healthful, and beautiful berries in summer; knockout colorful foliage in the fall; and graceful golden stems in winter. How’s that for a year-round giver?
Blueberries provide year-round color in the garden and are a great shrub for any sunny area.
Spring: Bell-shaped flowers
Summer: Antioxidant rich berries
Fall: Foliage turns yellow to orange
Winter: Twiggs are reddish brown
The flowers and fall foliage would be reason enough to plant blueberries, but the luscious berries are the big payoff. Researchers at the USDA Human Nutrition Center have found that blueberries rank number one in antioxidants compared to other fresh fruits and vegetables.
1. Blueberries are a superfruit that are high in antioxidants
2. Enhance memory
4. Improve vision
5. Growing your own blueberries will save you money at the grocery store
Position blueberries where they’ll get dappled shade in the afternoon. Morning sun, bright afternoon shade is OK, too. Amend the soil well with camellia/azalea planting mix. Feed with a granular, organic camellia/azalea food.
It's important that blueberries are established before bearing fruit. Prune heavily each year to avoid overfruiting.
Remove low growth around the base and any dead or non-vigorous twiggy wood. The goal is to remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the wood each year. This allows for stronger growth and better quality fruit.
1. Blueberries love acidic soil
2. Plant in a sunny area, typical of edibles
3. Dig a hole that is at least twice the width of the root ball
4. Using an acid soil mixture - EB Stone Azalea, Camellia and Gardenia Planting Mix - mix one part native soil with one part of the EB Stone Azalea, Camellia and Gardenia Planting Mix
5. Place a handful of EB Stone Sure Start in the hole. It prevents transplant shock and gives the plant nutrients to grow a healthy root system
6. Fill the hole in with the remaining soil mixture
7. Add a 2 inch layer of mulch around the blueberry plant. This will help with water retention and reduce weeds
8. Water thoroughly
9. If you live in an apartment or condo, blueberries can also be planted in large pots
Keep soil evenly moist throughout the growing season.