Retail 2nd Assistant Manager
Job Title: 2nd Assistant Manager
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full Time / Hourly
Reporting Relationships: Store Manager and/or Assistant Manager
Work Schedule: Hours will vary by season. This position will require some evening and weekend work.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists the manager in the sales, operations and fiscal activities of the store. Plans and develops systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the store. Assists the manager and assistant manager with supervising, coaching and training staff according to company policies and procedures.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands that safety, proactive customer engagement and customer satisfaction are our top priorities.
- Assists the store management team with store sales, operations, inventory turns, margins and profitability.
- Assists the Store Manager to monitor labor and maintain budgeted guidelines. Also ensures there is adequate staff on hand at all times to serve customers.
- Provides ongoing training to all personnel as needed.
- Opens and closes the store as needed.
- Ensures that operational standards are consistently met.
- Ensures product is merchandised in a manner that enhances customer appeal.
- Assists the store management team to oversee product inventory and ensures that store has adequate stock to meet customers’ needs.
- Monitors safety compliance and ensures that aequate supplies of safety equipment are on hand.
- Assists Store Manager in the associate review and record of discussion processes.
- Works closely with the management team to familiarize themselves with the budgeting process and back office policies and procedures.
- Accepts other responsibilities as assigned.
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- Has a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Computer skills: Intermediate level of skill in Outlook and Excel. Point of Service Training
- Has the ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Has the ability to lift 25 lbs. on a regular basis and 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Has strong leadership and communication abilities to delegate efficiently.
- Has the ability to relate to, train and instruct others.
- Requires standing and/or sitting for long periods of time.
- Has the ability to multi-task.
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Two year degree in Horticulture, Agricultural Business or related field or a minimum of two years’ Retail Management experience. Becomes a Georgia or North Carolina Certified Plant Professional within 2 years of job classification
Compensation – We have great benefits! (Benefits available to full-time associates)
- Major medical, dental, vision and other group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.