Retail Department Head
Job Title: Department Head
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full Time / Hourly
Reporting Relationships: Store Manager
Work Schedule: Hours vary by season. This position may require evening and weekend work.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures that the department has adequate inventory, customers are being helped and the area is kept clean.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands that safety, proactive customer engagement and customer satisfaction are our top priorities.
- Directs team effort to achieve departmental sales budgets.
- Maintains appealing displays of all department merchandise.
- Takes inventories of product and places orders for needed material including special orders.
- Ensures signs are posted for all merchandise that appears in our advertisements.
- Is responsible for the maintenance of the display areas, (straightening, sweeping, stocking and watering).
- Receives and displays all incoming stock in a timely manner using current receiving procedures, noting all defective/damaged merchandise and ensuring that credit is received.
- Ensures that all inventory is accurately priced and signed.
- Maintains accurate throwaway and markdown records for the back office.
- Maintains basic knowledge of materials within your department.
- Cross trains with other department heads.
- Accepts other responsibilities as assigned.
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- Has a high level of interpersonal skills to appropriately deal with associates and customers.
- Computer skills: Beginner level of skill in Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Has the ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Is required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Is required to lift up to 50 lbs. on regular basis and up to 75 lbs. on occasion.
- Has the ability to multi-task.
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
One plus year(s) work-related experience. Becomes a Georgia or North Carolina Certified Plant Professional within one year of job classification.
Compensation – We have great benefits! (Benefits available to full-time associates)
- Major medical, dental, vision and other group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.