Retail Assistant Manager
Job Title: Assistant Manager
Locations: Metro Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
Status: Full-Time / Salary Exempt
Reporting Relationships: Retail Manager / Regional Managers
Work Schedule: Hours vary by season. This position will require some evening and weekend work.
“Come Play in the Dirt”
Pike Nurseries has been serving residents in the Southeast for nearly 60 years. Pike Nurseries is recognized as a leader in the Garden Center Industry for its commitment to providing the best selection, quality, service and horticultural expertise. With Pike’s sister brand, Armstrong Garden Centers, in California, the company is considered to be the largest independent garden center company in the U.S. with career opportunities and growth from coast to coast.
Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists the manager in the sales, operations and fiscal activities of the store. Plans and develops systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the store. Assists the manager with screening, interviewing and hiring associates. Assists the manager with supervising, coaching and training staff according to company policies and procedures.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands that safety, customer engagement and customer satisfaction are our top priorities.
- Assists the Store Manager with store sales, operations, inventory turns, margins and profitability.
- Assists the Store Manager with labor/scheduling to maintain budgeted guidelines and ensures there is adequate staff on hand at all times to serve customers.
- Assists the Store Manager to make sure the store is staffed with qualified employees through the recruiting, screening and interviewing processes.
- Provides ongoing training to Second Assistant Manager and other personnel.
- Opens and closes the store as needed.
- Ensures that operational standards are consistently met.
- Ensures product is merchandised in a manner that enhances customer appeal.
- Assists the Manager in overseeing product inventory to ensure that store has adequate stock to meet customers’ needs.
- Monitors safety compliance and ensures that adequate supplies of safety equipment are on hand.
- Works closely with the management team to familiarize themselves with the budgeting process and back office policies and procedures.
- Assists the Store Manager in the associate review process.
- Properly coaches, disciplines and holds associates accountable for their actions in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Resolves customer issues and/or associate issues in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Is responsible for all in store training of customers and associates.
- Manages the store when the Store Manager is absent.
- Accepts other responsibilities as assigned.
Education, Prior Work Experience and Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
Two year degree in Horticultural or Agricultural Business or related field or a minimum of two years’ Retail Management experience. Becomes a Georgia or North Carolina Certified Plant Professional within first two years of job classification.
Other Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- Has a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Computer skills: Intermediate level of skill in Outlook and Excel. Point of Sales Training
- Has the ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Has the ability to lift 25 lbs. on a regular basis and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Has strong leadership and communication abilities to delegate efficiently.
- Has the ability to relate to, train and instruct others.
- Requires standing and/or sitting for long periods of time.
- Ability to multi-task.
Compensation – We have great benefits!
- Major medical, dental, vision and other group benefits
- Paid holidays and paid vacation
- Participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 30% Employee Discount
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits up to 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.