Succulents are beautiful plants with low care needed; here are some tips for choosing, planting and caring for them.
Succulents continue to be one of the biggest trends in gardening and it’s no surprise because they are very easy!
What are Succulents?
- Plants that store water in various structures, such as leaves and stems
- They are very heat and drought tolerant
Why are Succulents Popular?
- Succulents are extremely diverse and come in many colors, shapes, and sizes
- They have clean lines which make them very architectural and modern
- They are super easy to grow
How to Grow Succulents
- Succulents love the sun but some will take partial sun
- Plant succulents in a spot that receives 8 or more hours of sunlight
- The most important thing for succulents is good drainage
- If planting in a pot, make sure the pot has a drainage hole
- Plant succulents in EB Stone Cactus Mix in containers
- When planting in the ground mix the native soil with equal parts EB Stone Cactus Mix & perlite
Caring for Succulents
- Succulents thrive on warm, hot weather and many varieties won’t make it through our winters
- If you plant succulents in containers you can bring them indoors when the average night time temperature is similar to the temperature inside your home
Succulents are fun to plant and will give you a very modern, different look. The key to success is making sure your succulents have good drainage and don’t get too much water. If you have any questions visit your neighborhood Pike Nurseries.