Attract Birds & Butterflies
Attracting Birds & Butterflies
Approximately 350 species of birds live in Georgia at some point in their life. Most Atlanta-area homes can attract about 20 different types of birds to their backyard.
3 Things needed to attract birds & butterflies
- Hummingbirds and butterflies prefer perennials and flowering shrubs for nectar/food.
Early Season Favorites
- Both are great options in the garden or container garden
Spring & Early Summer Favorites
- Annual Cosmos - also a great cut flower
- Butterfly Bush
- It's important to supplement nature's natural food sources with a bird feeder. This attracts birds early in the season and will attract more birds because there's a constant food supply.
Different foods attract different birds
- Finches, Pine Siskin
- Cajun spiced to deter squirrels
- Birds need water year-round for drinking and bathing
- Moving water will attract more birds Use dunk pellets to prevent mosquitoes in birdbaths
- Refresh birdbaths weekly
3. ShelterPlants for Food & Shelter
- Berry bushes
- Hanging Baskets
- Bird houses can be used as an additional shelter in addition to plants Bird houses come in a variety of sizes and shapes for a variety of birds
- Bird houses should be functional & decorative