How to Get Mosquitos to Buzz Off
How to Get Mosquitos to Buzz Off
In the summer mosquitos are out in full force and can really make the time in your outdoor retreat miserable. Here are some tips for keeping these pesky bugs at bay!
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of medicine! Be diligent about preventing mosquitos in your yard to begin with, and you'll have an easier time in the garden.
• Eliminate any stagnant water. Mosquitos can breed in something as small as a bottle cap full of water! Turn over or remove empty buckets, etc., empty standing water from pot saucers, and clean and refill bird baths regularly.
• Keep grass and weeds trimmed; mosquitos hide there during the day.
• Stop the lifecycle. Drop Mosquito Beater Water Soluble Pouches into your ponds, fountains, or spots of standing water to kill mosquito larvae without harming fish or other aquatic organisms.
Mosquitos are most active at dawn and dusk. If you're outside at that time, use common sense tactics to repel the critters.
• Wear long sleeves and pants if possible to prevent bites.
• Mosquitos are weak flyers, so add fans on your patio or porch to help keep them away.
• And, of course, use bug repellants, including plants and products that repel.
Deer Resistant Plants
Add plants that help repel mosquitoes in containers near your outdoor gathering areas. For these plants to be effective, you need to crush a few leaves and rub them on your skin to release the scents and oils for them to work.Just having the plant nearby will not repel bugs. Popular mosquito-repelling plants include: Citronella Scented Geranium, Lemongrass, Lemon Thyme, Rosemary & Lavender
Amazon lights, Incense Cones
Citronella candles, incense cones and sticks are great products for keeping pesky insects away while you're relaxing outside, grilling, dining al fresco.
The Thermacell portable clip-on device clips to your belt while outside. It'll create a 15-foot mosquito-free zone around you while you're gardening, mowing the lawn, hiking, camping, and more. Additionally, Thermacell lanterns have battery-powered LED lights great for use in the evening on the patio and use the same repelling function as the clip-on device.
Mosquito Beater Granules
Sprinkle Mosquito Beater Granules on your lawn or around your patio 1 hour before your outdoor activities. This will repel mosquitos up to 3 weeks with 1 application. The granules are a more natural product, not harmful to people or pets. Plus, direct application on the ground is safer for beneficial insects.
To kill adult mosquitos, you'll need spray products. But keep in mind that these sprays can also harm other insects like pollinators. Be strategic when using sprays. Apply them at dusk or night when bees are not active and apply when there's no wind to minimize drift.
Mosquito Beater fog/Spray
Mosquito Beater fog can be sprayed around the perimeter of your yard before spending time outside. It instantly knocks down the pests in the area and will last up to a few hours. Mosquito Beater spray connects to your hose, mixing with water while you spray on your lawn, garden, and patio. It will kill and repel mosquitos, gnats and other nuisance insects and can last 2-4 weeks but has to be reapplied after heavy rains.